Roasted Asparagus Soup
Makes 4 generous servings.
Quantities are approximate. There is lots of room for adjustment. Nothing
needs to be finely chopped because in the end it all goes into the blender.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium or large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 or more large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 3 cups chicken broth
(or vegetable broth if you want vegetarian)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. salt
- whipping cream or yoghurt
- Cut off and discard (compost!)
tough ends of asparagus.
Cut off tips and set aside.
Chop rest into pieces (1 or 2 inches long).
Toss with 1 T. olive oil. Roast in 450 oven.
Stir every 5 minutes or more. Remove when lightly browned.
- Roast the tips in the same manner, but keep separate from other
parts of asparagus.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in 2 T. oil till golden.
- In a large pot, bring the broth to a boil.
- Stir in onions/garlic and roasted asparagus, EXCEPT the tips.
- Pour this mixture into a blender and blend well. (Or leave in pan and use a hand blender.)
- Put pureed mixture back into pan. Stir in roasted asparagus tips.
Bring back to a boil.
- Serve with whipping cream or yoghurt which each person can stir into his/her own soup.
Variations (haven't yet tried):
- Use sour cream instead of whipping cream or yoghurt.
Wynette's Home Page