This is recipe put together to use canned clams bought at
Costco. It all went together quickly and turned out good.
This is a fairly light recipe. You can make it richer by
using more butter and using whole milk.
- Boil till soft in soup pot:
- 1 finely chopped potato (about 1/4 inch size pieces)
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- Saute till onions and garlic are well cooked:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 tsp. canola oil or butter
- Add to above and heat (but don't cook longer than that):
- 1 can baby clams in their juice (Brunswick brand available at Costco)
- Make a white sauce soup base (I'm not sure of the exact measurements I used):
Heat oil, stir in flour to make a paste and cook a minute.
Stir in milk a little at a time. If it is lumpy you can whir it
all in the blender (like I did) till you get out the lumps. Cook till
it thickens a little. Don't let it boil very much.
- 1 or 2 tsp. canola oil or butter (I used a little of both)
- 1 or 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 or 2 cups 1% milk
- Season with:
- Lots of freshly ground pepper
- Mix all the above with the cooked potato and heat just to
Variations I might try some time
- Use chicken broth instead of water for cooking the potatoes.
- Olive oil would probably work fine instead of canola oil.
Wynette's Home Page