Tomato Bisque Soup
Charlie spotted this soup recipe in the New York Times on
12/24/2015. It is delicious and easy to make. We've modified it slightly.
(See notes about that and link to original recipe near bottom of page.)
Makes 4 small servings. Store leftovers in frig; it's very good the next day.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 28-ounce can crushed Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste (this is MUCH less than original recipe)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chile flakes
- pinch of cayenne pepper or chile powder, adjust to the spiciness you like
(chipotle chile powder is good)
- 3 or 4 ounces good-quality fresh goat cheese
Original recipe from New York Times:
- Saute garlic and ginger in hot oil for a minute or two.
- Add onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rest of ingredients except goat cheese.
- Simmer on medium-low for 30 minutes or so.
- Using a hand blender, puree until smooth.
- Add most of the goat cheese and stir till creamy but leave some clumps of cheese visible.
- Taste and add more salt, cayenne/chile powder ... if you like.
- Serve with a dollup of goat cheese on top.
Wynette's Home Page