Fresh Tomato Sauce with Pasta
Charlie and I noticed that in Italy the tomato sauce for pasta would
be very light and barely cooked and, of course like everything else
in Italy, delicious. I think their secret is fresh ingredients.
This is our version where we try to imitate what we ate in Italy.
We make it when we have fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Quantities below are approximate.
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes, the fresher the better
- 1/4 cup (or more) chopped fresh basil, or 2 tsp dried basil
- salt to taste
- pasta -- spaghetti, vermicelli, or whatever
- parmesan or romano cheese, grated
- Saute onions and garlic in large skillet.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt.
- Cook till tomatoes are cooked through, but not too long.
- Stir in basil. (Cook a tiny bit if you like.)
- Serve with cooked pasta and a little of the grated cheese.
Wynette's Home Page