All quantities are approximate. Feel free to experiment by adding more or less of any item.
- 1 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups basil leaves, de-stemmed, loosely packed (This is 2 or 2-1/2 oz.)
- In all the steps below, be careful not to puree. Things should be mixed well, but not over-processed.
- Put nuts into food processor or blender and pulse a few times.
- Add garlic and pulse a few more times.
- Add the oil and pulse till it is incorporated. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides.
- Add cheese and pinch of salt and pepper pulse until blended.
- Add basil and pulse a few more times. Blend till basil is incorporated, but so the pesto still has texture. Scrape sides often.
- After tasting, if you want to add more of any ingredient(s), fine to add now and pulse a few more times.
- Serve with pasta and/or fresh chopped tomatoes or toasted bread or baked potatoes, etc.
- Store what you don't use in the refrigerator. Keeps several days. Also freezes well.