Deborah’s Frozen Banana Dessert
My friend Deborah taught me how to make this. It's so delicious and light and refreshing and easy and fun to make. Great for company or just a cool treat on a summer night.It uses frozen bananas. Whenever you have bananas that are getting too ripe, peel them and put them in a plastic freezer bag and freeze. It's great to have a supply of these to make this recipe. You must serve this immediately, while it's still cold, so don't start making it till you are ready to eat it.Amounts are approximate; you can experiment to find the combination that you like.
- 2 or 3 frozen bananas (don't let them thaw)
- 1 cup plain yoghurt (can be non-fat or full fat, good either way)
- 5 tbsp lime juice
- a splash of milk, any kind including something like almond milk (optional)
- honey or sugar (optional)
- Cut frozen banana(s) into chunks and put into blender. (Be sure not to let the bananas thaw beforehand. You want to serve this dessert as cold as possible.)
- Add yoghurt and lime juice.
- Blend till smooth.
- If it seems too thick add a little milk until it is the consistency you want. (When I use Greek yoghurt, I always add a little milk to thin it down a bit.)
- Taste and then add a little sugar or honey if you'd like it to be more sweet. (Be careful not to get too sweet. It's nice to have a tiny bit of tartness from the lime.)
- Spoon into a pretty glass. A wine glass works great.
- Serve immediately, while it's still cold.
Variations (we haven't tried any of these, but might be good):
- Freeze the yoghurt as well as the bananas.
- Add other frozen fruit. Blueberries?
- Add nuts.
- Use orange juice instead of lime and add some shaved chocolate.