California Waldorf Salad
One of my all-time favorite recipes is Molly Katzen's California Waldorf Salad from the original Moosewood Cookbook. It looks beautiful when first made with the bright green avocado. By the next day the avocado will turn a little brownish but it will taste even better. It will keep for several days. We've made a few tweaks over the years. This is how we are making it now.
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 2 large apples, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 large oranges, cut into fairly small pieces
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup raisins or currents
- 1 cup roasted cashews (it's ok if they are lightly salted)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup plain yoghurt (low fat or high fat or anything in between)
- 1 ripe avocado (peeled)
- 3 Tbs. honey
- Put juice of 1 lemon in large bowl.
- Cut apples into the juice and toss. This will help keep apple from turning brown.
- Add oranges, celery, raisins, cashews to the bowl and toss.
- For the dressing, mix the remaining ingredients with juice of the other lemon and blend until smooth.
- Taste dresing and adjust if desired (e.g., more honey or more lemon). It’s nice if it is a little sweet but not too sweet.
- Pour dressing over salad and stir.