These are easy and fun to make and delicious. A traditional New Mexican dish.
- cheddar cheese
- flour or corn tortillas
- cooked pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained (canned works fine or, make a batch of beans yourself.)
- green chile (frozen works fine, but if it's fall and you live in New Mexico, get some fresh roasted Hatch Chile, nothing like it)
- chopped fresh tomato (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Heat the beans.
- Heat the green chile.
- Fry 1 or 2 eggs per person, fry to order (e.g., "over easy").
Each person gets a plate. For each plate:
- Put tortilla on the plate.
- Add beans on top or on the side.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Spoon green chile over all.
- Put in microwave (or hot oven if plates will allow) and heat till cheese is melted and everything is hot.
- Put fried egg(s) on top of hot tortilla/cheese/beans/etc. Try to time it so egg is done just as plate finishes heating.
- If you have fresh tomatoes, chop and put those on top. Lots.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, cilantro, etc.