Frankie’s Chocolate Oatmeal Candy
Mom got this recipe in 1958 from her friend Frankie Jones. We used to make it a lot when I was a kid. It’s easy and fun to make. I’ve modified the original recipe some so it’s not quite so sweet and a little more chocolately. Still plenty sweet. (So they don’t get lost, I’ll indicate original amounts below as well.)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar (original: 2 cups)
- 5-1/2 T. cocoa (original: 4 T.)
- 1/2 cup butter (original: 1/2 cup oleo)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups quick cooking oats (non quick-cooking works ok, too)
- 1 cup nuts
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Stir sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk together in a pan.
- Put on medium heat, continue stirring, and bring to a full boil.
- Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in oats, nuts, and vanilla.
- Beat by hand for 5 minutes.
- Drop spoonfuls onto wax paper.
- Let it cool.
- After a while it will set and you’ll be able to pick up the individual pieces. Store in a jar or plastic container.
Variations (not yet tried, try at your own risk):
- Might try using 1 or 2 T. more cocoa.
- Wouldn’t hurt to have twice as many nuts.
- Add coconut?
- I wonder how it would be with a cup of raisins or other dried fruit stirred in.