Raspberry or Cherry Sauce
This is delicious on Mildred's Chocolate Roll.
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen raspberries or frozen cherries
- 1 to 2 T sugar (use 1 for cherries, 2 for raspberries) (possibly less but not more unless you like it really sweet)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T cornstarch
- If you are using raspberries and wish to strain the seeds from the raspberries you can do it now by mashing the raspberries through a fine sieve. (You can do it at the end if you prefer, but I think it's a little easier to do it before it is cooked.)
- If you are using cherries, chop finely in a blender of food processor. Hand blender works ok.
- Stir together fruit and sugar in saucepan.
- Mix water and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir till smooth then add to fruit in pan.
- Cook over medium/low heat, stirring often, til the fruit have cooked down and the sauce is thickened. This will take 7-10 minutes.
- You can sieve out the raspberry seeds at this point if you haven't already done so. It's also fine to leave the seeds in. Of course, the sauce has a very different consistency with and without seeds.