Ellen’s Yogurt Dip
Ellen Gelbard used to make this. After she died, her daughters Rachel and Monica served it at a gathering at her house. We asked Rachel and Monica for the recipe. Very good and easy to make. This is almost the same as Greek tzatziki except it has dill which makes it the Turkish dish called cacik.
- 1 large cucumber, coarsely grated or finely diced
- 2 cups greek yoghurt
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 ounces dill, stalks and leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- zest and juice of a small lemon (optional)
- Squeeze out and discard excess water from the grated cucumber. (Can use a sieve or a hand towel.)
- In mixing bowl mix the cucumber and yoghurt.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve with chips, pita, or pita chips. However you’d serve tzatziki.