Garbanzo/Black Bean Salad
We made this on August 9, 2014, using list of ingredients from one we bought pre-prepared from Trader Joe’s. We liked how it turned out so thought we’d write it down. Amounts are approximate. If we’d had fresh herbs (cilantro and parsley) we’d have used those. Of course, it’s great left over.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or equivalent mixture of red, yellow, orange)
- 1/4 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, including green parts, finely chopped
- 1 T dried cilantro
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 to 6 T olive oil
- 2 T wine vinegar
- Mix everything together in large bowl.
- Chill, if you have time.
Variations (we haven’t tried these yet, but intend to):
- Add fresh chopped tomatoes.
- Use fresh herbs (in much larger amounts than the dried herbs).
- Squeeze in some lemon or lime juice.
- Experiments with different types and ratios of vinegar and oil.