Banana Nut Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or white flour or some mixture of each
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk with 2 tsp. lemon juice stirred in(
- 1 cup mashed bananas (this is 2 or 3 bananas)
- 1 or 2 cups walnuts or pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients (including sugar) in a bowl.
- In a separate, larger, bowl beat eggs and then stir in butter, buttermilk, and banana and mix well.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Gently stir in nuts.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes till toothpick comes out clean. Bread will also start to separate from pan.
Variations I might try sometime (untested, try at your own risk!!)
- Use yoghurt instead of buttermilk.
- Use a bit less sugar.
- Use canola oil instead of butter.
- Add dried fruit: raisins? cranberries? chopped up prunes?