Balinese Apple Salad
We found this recipe in the Washington Post. Delicious as it is, but we've made a few changes. Our version is below.
- 3 T lime juice
- 1 t fresh ginger, grated
- 2 t sugar
- 1 t fish sauce (can substitute soy sauce)
- 1 t water
- 1/4 tsp hot chipotle chile powder (or your favorite chile or hot spice)
- 1 large sweet apple, unpeeled
- 1-1/2 oz red onion or shallot or other onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, crushed or finely chopped
- Mix together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Core the apple and chop into fairly small pieces. (Can do matchstick shape if you wish.) Immediately stir into the dressing. This will prevent the apple from turning brown.
- Add the onion and celery and toss everything together.
- Let sit for at least 10 minutes. An hour is even better.
- Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve.