I got this from Jane Brody's Good Food Book. Have made a few changes that are reflected below. Here's a link (on someone's blog) to the original recipe.
- 1/2 cup sugar (or 1 tablespoon less)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 3 tsp ground cinnamon (optional: amount depends on your preference and how strong your cinnamon is)
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, pumpkin, and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir just to moisten.
- Gently stir in the raisins and nuts.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes to an hour (if using convection oven it takes less time). Done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Set pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then turn out the loaf to cool completely.