Once again, we found a great Mark Bittman recipe. Easy and a delicious way to eat sardines which are so good for you.
- 1 can sardines, preferably packed in olive oil (4 or 5 ounces)
- grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 scallions or equivalent amount of purple or regular onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped (or 2 tbsp dried parsley)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (if sardines are packed in oil, use that for the oil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Remove the sardines from the can, leaving the oil behind. Place in large bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, shallots or onions, capers, parsley, oil, salt and pepper.
- Make sandwiches with the sardine mixture. It's nice to toast the bread, if you wish. Great with lettuce and fresh sliced tomatoes. Serve immediately.
- You can make the salad up to several hours ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container; or store leftovers the same way for up to a couple days.
Recipe from Mark Bittman website. His recipe uses either tuna or sardines. We haven’t tried with tuna but it’s probably good that way.