Cabbage and Something
We had a head of fresh cabbage we needed to use up
so chopped it and cooked it with some chicken sausage
that we had. It was so good and easy we've made something similar
several times since then. This is the recipe we've come up with, but
it's so simple it's kind of crazy to write it down.
- A head of cabbage (green or purple both work well)
- Meat or meat substitute of some kind. So far we've used
(1) Chicken/green chile sausage we were once able to get at Costco,
(2) Trader Joe's frozen turkey meatballs,
(3) Trader Joe's chicken sausages (various seasonings),
(4) Costco organic chicken/spinach/feta sausage.
All have been great.
- Good oil such as olive oil.
- Garlic seasoning (optional)
- Yoghurt (optional) (Trader Joe's European Style is amazing)
- Or sauce of some kind (optional).
Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter) Sauce is
really good with it.
- Saute the meat -- bite size pieces.
- Chop the cabbage coarsely (big pieces). Lightly saute in a skillet
with the oil till it just starts to brown. Perhaps shake on some
garlic seasoning and a little salt.
- Stir together the meat and cabbage.
- Serve with a dollup of yoghurt (optional but very good)
or some other sauce to your liking.
Variations we haven't tried yet:
- For "meat" might try tofu that's cooked very slowly so that it's chewy.
Season the tofu with soy sauce.
Wynette's Home Page