Mildred's Chocolate Roll
This was Charlie's mom's recipe. It is one of Charlie's favorites
and his mom would make it for him when he visited her. We've come to
enjoy making it, too. It works fine for a birthday cake. And, it makes
a good cake-like desert for your guests who can't eat wheat.
All the steps below make it look complicated, but it isn't complicated.
- 5 eggs separated (we think it helps if they are at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 rounded T. cocoa
- 1 cup whipping cream
Steps for Roll:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat egg yolks several minutes and then add vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and then gradually beat in
sugar and cocoa.
- Fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.
- Generously grease 11 x 9" pan.
(Pam works well. Pan size can vary.)
- Use rubber spatula to spread mixture evenly into pan.
- Bake 28 to 35 minutes. Toothpick
should come out mostly clean. Be careful not to undercook it.
(May take less time at lower altitudes?)
- Remove pan from oven and put on a damp towel for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Loosen around the edges using a rubber spatula. Go around the edges
and keep moving toward the center until all is loosened.
- Turn pan upside down onto OILED parchment paper. Can oil it with something like Pam.(Wax paper might work ok, too.)
- Ease "loaf" out of the pan. It'll be about 3/4" to 1" inch thick.
- Let it cool.
- Whip the cream and spread over the cooled loaf.
- Roll from the small end like a jelly roll.
- Serve with chocolate sauce. Can use Mildred's recipe below
or this one which
is faster and easier.
Mildred's Chocolate Sauce Ingredients
- 1-1/2 T. butter
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Mildred's Steps for Chocolate Sauce:
- Melt butter and chocolate in double boiler.
- Stir in sugar and water.
- Boil until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with Raspberry Sauce. Good!
- Double the amount of cocoa in the roll.
- Add nuts???? (haven't tried)
- The recipe calls for chocolate sauce on top and that's good, but sometimes
we enjoy the delicate taste of the roll without any chocolate.
- This chocolate sauce recipe,
made with chocolate chips, is easier to make and quite good.
Wynette's Home Page